[racktables-users] Re: How to express components of objects?

  • From: Matthew Castanien <mcastanien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 12:24:07 -0500

Kaiwang,

I track basic HDD info by adding two new attributes and associating them to
the "server" object.  The two attributes are "Num. HDD bays", an unsigned
integer, and "Num. HDDs", a string.  Below is how we fill in the
information. These figures are searchable, and a quick way for us to be
able to see how many disks, their speed and size, are installed. If you had
the same configurations on multiple servers, you could just create these as
dictionary items and make them dropdowns. Hope this helps.

Examples:
Num. HDD bays:    6
Num. HDDs:    6 x 300GB 10k

Num. HDD bays:    8
Num. HDDs:    2 x 146GB 15k

Additionally, I track RAID configuration with the below custom attributes.
RAID -Driver Version     - string
RAID -Firmware Version     - string
RAID -Model     - drop down
RAID Driver Version (2nd Card)     - string
RAID Firmware Version (2nd Card)     - string
RAID Model (2nd Card)     - drop down

Attached is a screenshot showing the summary of details that includes the
HDD and RAID info.

Thanks,

Matthew Castanien