[racattack] Re: RAC Attack in the Cloud (amazon, rackspace, etc)

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racattack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:13:00 -0600

Marcin - RAC needs to manage its own IPs, even moving them between servers.  I
don't believe you can do that yet with VPC EC2.  However there are a number of
third-party (free and commercial) products which virtualize networking and let
you have your own private network that you completely control; I looked into
using one of these a few years ago.

I couldn't get openfiler running on EC2 when I tried a few years ago but maybe
someone has made an image now.  But there are other approaches like (1) just
using iscsid on any linux distro or (2) using NFS.

I was just emailing someone else about this.  The big question is whether to
try running directly on the rented instances while providing your own storage
and your own virtual networking, or whether to use a second layer of
virtualization like the articles I forwarded earlier.  I've actually fired up
OEL under QEMU on an EC2 instance - that works.  This approach takes a big hit
in terms of CPU performance but it offers advantages in networking and storage
as well as creating a single universal setup that you can run on any cloud
provider.  (Some third-party network virt products also run on several cloud
providers.)  Anyway it's a very interesting field to be working in!  Something
I fiddle around with every now and then.

That being said, at the moment I'm most excited about the work on the dojo -
especially all the work Seth did! Looking forward to hearing how this plays out
at UKOUG and/or DOAG!  (Is there a DOAG event this year?)

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider
Sent from my iPhone