[pythonvis] Re: MorQuestions 2-17-15

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:06:18 +0200

Hi,

  3) Why in Internet Explorer it is sometimes difficult to launch hyperlinks
with either a space or the "enter" key?

  A: When this happens to me, it's because I haven't really maneuvered the
cursor onto the link where I think it is. I find using the tab key is the most
reliable way of actually landing on the links I want to activate.

  When using the arrow keys to select a link, after the link is selected it may
be helpful to use the command Insert+Control+Delete to move the PC cursor to
the position of the virtual cursor.

  After this command, we may see that the PC cursor is not moved to the link
but somewhere nearand we would need to use again the arrow keys to select the
link. If this is the case, by simply hitting enter or space on the link would
not activate the link. This is why it is necessary to select the link again.
Usually the second time the link is selected well, and by pressing
Insert+Control+Delete would not say anything, meaning that the focus is on the
link.

  Pressing tab is the best method indeed, but sometimes it is very difficult or
impossible to use tab in some "modern" web pages.

  Also, , what's the deal on link . . . on mousover?

  A: Supposedly, they provide information under the link when a mouse cursor is
hovered above the link. I haven't ever found them useful though, so have turned
notification of their presence off. I believe I did this by activating the Jaws
Verbosity dialog with Jawskey+v, then typed "mouse" in the search field, and
used spacebar to deactivate it.

  NHow does  one link to a new page while keeping the original page open?

  A: Control+enter will open a new page in the background, and leave you on the
link you used to do it. Control+shift+enter will leave the page you are on
open, but switch to the newly opened page.

  Probably this also depends on the browser. In IE 8 I use Shift+Enter to open
the link in a new window.

   This is not always working because some URLS are using Javascript code that
open the page, and in the href attribute use just "#" or use a JS code in the
href attribute that stops the standard processing of it...

  --Octavian