[python] Re: gyro forces

  • From: "daryl bender" <darylbender@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:51:45 -0400

Hi

I'm deep into trying to figure out javascript across multi-frame html windows (stirring up a choppy sea of nuerons) and then I get this email (25Hz) about the esoteric topic of the mathematics of gyroscopic precession (& now have the perfect storm in my head). ;-)

First let me say that my completely *subjective opinion* is that gyro forces may help here but they likely won't be a solution. I think the frontal forces at speed will override them. Gyro forces may slow things but with a negative trail they can't *fix* them. Again, completely *subjective opinion*.

I agree 100% with what you said except that mathematically the 3 axis always go through the wheel but they see a projection of the forces we apply, as it were. Only semantics.

If you want to see counter-steering spin the wheel in your hands with your arms arranged like a normal fork. Now, say, quickly push forward with the right arm and backward with the left (like a left turn). You'll notice an immediate wheel lean to the right (like a right turn). i.e. push left for a hard right and vise versa.

As I said before if I spin the wheel and do a python style pivot I get a similar albeit much gentler effect. My problem is without getting on a python I'm having trouble visualizing the exact physical//dynamic sensation this would produce but it would seem to imply a somewhat similar experience to a normal bike (counter steering etc applies). That's why I suspect it adds what I would call, for lack of a better term, a neutral stability. Improves things but not at the same rate as the underlying instability increases. I think the solution lies in increasing the down force proportionately or by getting to the negative trail.

Feel free to convince me otherwise as they are only subjective opinions and as such I'm not married to them. It's a gut feel kind of thing (he says with the perfect storm going on in his head).

Daryl - Oh here's a whacky thought, change your pivot angle dynamically as your speed increases. Maybe something like rod ends on hydraulic pistons that are in some way tied in with speed sensing. Maybe electronically or more practically with a lever for the operator which would be used in the course of riding like changing gears. Gad! I'm now visualizing bouncing Pythons like Mexican "low-riders". Man, mixing Javascript and the mathmatics of gyroscopes is bad for you!!! ;-D

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound e-mail and attachments. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.