[python] Re: gyro forces

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:23:44 -0700

At 07:43 PM 10/21/2005, you wrote:

I showed it to two acquaintances that ride penny/farthings and one of them
said it happened to him, but not as fast or as ugly.  The huge rubber tire
is solid and stretched to fit over the rim.

So they're not glued, like sew-ups?

They said the tire heats up on
long, fast downhills because of the frame wobbling badly, and as the tire
heats up, it doesn't need to stretch much to come off the rim they said.
If anything, it might be
centrifugal force, plus the wobble, that helped the warmed up tire come off the rim.

I can see where they might not be all that stiff in the steer axis, with the long, light forks.
I was thinking that the large wheel was catching a lot of air and flapping in its own turbulence like a stop sign in the wind.

Ray