[python] Re: Front wheel traction

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 29 Jun 2006 09:27:05 +1000

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 00:20, grwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<long snip, including comments from Jurgen, with which I agree>

> The point is to get more of the riders CG towards the drive
> wheel.

Agreed, though a more general way of putting it is that the
front wheel will carry most of the weight, if it is nearer
than the rear wheel to the CoG of the bike+rider. The absolute
distances don't matter so much, for this purpose. Assume
a bike 3 metres long, with the rider 1 metre behind the front
wheel, and 2 metres ahead of the rear wheel.  It will have
many other problems, but the weight distribution will be
2:1 front:rear.

> Inclining the seat will move the center forward.

That depends entirely on where the seat pivots for the purpose
of this design exercise.  If you merely lower the front edge
of the seat, the rider's CoG may merely move down, or even back.
Unless the seat is moved further from the rear wheel or closer
to the front wheel, tilting it is unlikely to improve matters.

> but also using a smaller front wheel allows the wheel to be
> closer to the rider

Yes, and this is critical.

> and inclines the entire bike and shortens the wheel base.

Inclining the bike doesn't contribute anything to resolving
the traction problem.  Wherever the CoG is, the weight will
act vertically through it.  Shortening the wheel base may be
desirable for other reasons, but it only affects traction
via the front:rear weight distribution.