[python] Re: Front wheel traction

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:32:52 +0200

Hello grwilliams,

sorry to say that I neither understand the problem nor the
solution ;-)

I have read that some people out there complain that a problem
with the python is the lack of traction on the drive wheel.

Where to read this?

In general FWD recumbents are more prone to traction issues
than RWD ones. I also know this well from my time with the
airbike and from my flevobike tryings. Also ZOX26 riders report
traction problems.

But the lower the center of gravity gets, the better. Also helping
is a long wheelbase. My python P3 has 63% of the system weight
on the driven front wheel. Climbing is excellent with it. On short
and steep hills I am usually faster than roadies or mountainbikers,
due to the bigger pushing force I can apply.

E.g. 30 km from my home is a steep road with loose gravel on it,
approx. 15 % slope. I never had a chance with my airbike to climb it.
With the P3 I can do that almost flawlessly (rarely using my fingertips
on the ground to balance the bike).

So no real traction problems with FWD lowracers.

On the python delta, the wheelbase can be very short. This surely leads to
loss of traction on steep hills. Maybe there your solution can be applied.
But I could not understand it. Do you mean to use a small front wheel,
or incline the seat position?

PS: I did a lot of riding on gravel or sandy roads recently. The FWD is
great here, because the driven and steered front wheel always pulls the
rest of the bike out of the mess. When the bike starts to slip, pushing
the pedals always helps restabilizing it.