[python] Re: Baby Python

  • From: olaf <noll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:13:24 +0100

Subject : Baby Python

I think the low height and the gearing problems would make it stay in the
shack, so to speak.

With a bit of luck it won't be so problematic. After all, large chain wheels can be found and I hope to find an discarded bike with a 5-speed hub gear. Quite optimistic, aren't I?

The low height is actually part of the challenge. Since this is to be a foldable bike that one should be able to carry around, weight is very important. I will try to make the frame simple and straight and to use as little material as possible. And the same with the wheels - the smaller the lighter. I am planning this bike because we have a very bike-unfriendly railroad service here in Sweden. Except on a few destinations they don't allow you to bring your bike on the train. So you have to smuggle it in as hand luggage. Well, it is not the ONLY reason for planning the bike but one of them.

Another problem is the short distance between the
crank
and seat - You'd need a rider with very short legs, or a possibility of
moving the seat further back (I think this would be a Good Thing (tm), and
improve the weight distribution).

This first draft isn't very accurate drawn. But the distance between seat ant cranks corresponds to the distance on my Hurricane. From seat to crank axle 67 cm.

Something that was completely out of its place was the bracket. It was so low my feet would have hit the ground.

I would suggest drawing it w. 305 or 349
rearwheel and adjusted rear fork, and perhaps a 451 frontwheel. That would
give more room for the seat, better gearing and freeheight.

That's a creative thought! A smaller rear wheel. Interesting. I will try it.

The flevo link
is also toying in my head, Tempelman www.ligfietsshop.nl charges ~40 euro
for it - 60 complete with bearings and nuts.

I didn't find it. Is it in their web shop?

Check out their 65 tooth
chainring it looks like it cost only 16 euro.

I found this one! That's a good price isn't it?

Good luck with the project,

Thanks for your feed-back, Torben!

Oh and if someone on dial-up connection is mad at me because of the slow-loading picture, I beg your pardon. It was a mistake. I had two pics, one compressed and one uncompressed. I accidentally posted the big one. Won't happen again!

olaf