[pythian] Re: PROJECT - House map almost ready

  • From: Darryl Long <pythianproject@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 23:08:21 -0400

Ok, the map is posted on the web!  Point your Auto-Update to
http://www.pythianproject.org/relbeta/release.prv and give the new level
a try.  This time, it actually works in the engine!!!

Unfortunately, upon testing I was unable to connect to the web site with
neither a browser nor the AUClient.  Therefore, I can't test the
download, but it worked ok with my local test mechanism.

The total size of the download is 3.7MB which includes an update to the
engine, editor, and two maps.

The problem with the 64MB download was that the textures were
uncompressed and many were 1024 x 1024.  By reducing the size of all
textures to maximum 256 x 256 and compressing the texture, the size
reduced to only 3MB for both maps.

An interesting part of these maps is that two of the maps use the same
data: both use the houses.pdt file which contains 11 generic houses.
This is the benefit of the new Editor!  We can now re-use objects,
buildings, textures and everything else!  This means less to download.

When the web site comes back, give it a try and let me know your
impressions.

Darryl