[pythian] Re: DESIGN - Mission Ideas

  • From: Darryl Long <pythianproject@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 22:23:44 -0700

Hi n30n,

Looks good.  You've resolved the issues I had with the first draft you
sent me, and this draft is pretty solid as a high-level overview of the
campaign.

One problem I see is that the camp is not likely to be big enough to
provide the mad dash you were hoping for.  If it were that big, there
would be enough people to fight off the attackers without the players.
 Instead, we can create the same "panic" effect by having a series of
attacks come from opposites sides of the camp, spaced by a certain
amount of time.  The distance may be shorter, but more trips will cover
the same total distance.  Could be a very exciting mission.

Your next step, once you're done that little change, is to add more
detail to the missions.  I listed off a bunch of stuff in another email
I sent you, but I had an additional idea based on some other design
documents I've read on the net.  The idea is to decide what type of
mission it is: which major gameplay element will the mission focus on.
 Our major gameplay types are:

attack
defend
stealth
goto

This means every mission must be one of or a combination of these types.
 For instance, your mission one is defend and goto.  Mission two is
defend.  Mission three is stealth.  Mission four is stealth and attack.
 Mission five is goto and defend.  Hmm... I guess I just did it for you.
:p  Well, now you have some very basic ideas to grow your mission upon.
 Start with mission one and create as much detail as possible.

Of course, if anyone else has comments, you should address those first.

Good work!

Darryl