[pythian] Re: CODE - Clipping error

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:51:48 +0200

The lightmaps work, finally!

Darryl, I have done it and it works at about 85% - I have to added support
for
all types of PanelTris (except patches). I will pad all lightmaps by 1
pixel. You know why. Well, finally - it needs also some
progress bar and editor preview (using original lightsector maybe).

Anyway - it runs in the engine, but there is still the problem with the
multitexture shaders. I have just hard-coded for lightmap pursposes for now
and
it doesn't work 100%. It looks very messy and I would like to ask you to do
it, because I have no idea how to do it. Today or tomorrow, I am commiting
all the changes. The bug I have described wasn't a bug - just the view
origin was set to activeobject - I assume because of debugging.

The packing works well, I think it hasn't any bugs. Yeah... don't even try
to use render lightmaps in the keep map or any bigger map if you don't want
to wait more than 30 minutes. There are no portals. Anyway, I am thinking
about creating better lightmap HSR system, althought there are some problem
I can use standard clipping, but just for determining the visual barriers
which is used for diffuse lighting (ambient light is not affected by any
visual barriers). Altought I don't think this will speed up the thing -
because the HSR process would add a lot if not done well.

I will also add per-object (for moving objs) ogl lighting in shortly (it is
supported already).

And finally... there is a problem that the panel lists created by the
stripification method are in most of the cases multiplanar which means that
they cannot be processed by my lightmapping system. I think we should leave
the system as is - single plane per lightmap cluster (or bucket). It isn't
impossible, but near to it - to make multiplanar lightmapping system for
strips. Well, panel lists are something different - they could be
multiplanar. But if so - it would turn the code into a mess. Maybe, I will
add it later - after we have tested everything. So, Darryl - I would like to
ask you to change your code so that more single-planar panel list will be
created instead of creating one - multiplanar. By now, I have solved this by
setting the min_strip_len to 3 which results in none panel lists. Instead of
that - a lot of single triangle panel strips are created which lowers the
performance and also the effeciency of the lightmapping system. (this is
meant for the others - as Darryl knows this very well ;)

-kk