[pure-silver] Re: storage temperature for paper

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 00:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: storage temperature for paper
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:21:33 -0400

> Generally the higher the storage temperature the faster it ages.

Agreed.

> If at high humidity you can also get molds or other stuff to grow in
> the gel.

I think most major companies add some isothiazolinone, methylparaben
(if acidic), phenylphenol (if alkaline), etc. to the emulsion to
prevent this. Parabens and phenylphenols are effective against fungi
and mold as well. (I consider myself "off brand" at this time but I
add these to my emulsions!)

> Oxygen (air) is a bigger enemy to developers but I still keep mine
> at 70F or lower.

However, aerial oxidation is also accelerated by higher temperature,
especially in open containers. Print developers in open tray may have
significantly different working life between 18C and 25C.