[pure-silver] Re: sodium sulfite for type 55 film

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:40:59 -0700

At 09:30 AM 10/22/2004, shannon stoney wrote:

>I've been reading some on the internet about polaroid black and white
>positive negative films.  655 seems to be pretty much like 55, only
>for medium format.  You have to dunk the negative in sodium sulfite
>after pulling it off.  This seems a little awkward for in the field.
>Is it really necessary?  On one forum somebody said they just rinsed
>the negative in plain water and skipped the sodium sulfite step.

The best thing to do is wait until you get home to process the film. Then
it is easy to do the sulfite dunk. Processing the neg out in the field
serves no purpose. Expose for a neg, the print is of no value. Expose for a
print, the neg is of no value.

Better yet, when you get home, don't process the film in a Polaroid
processor (your film back), remove the film and process it is Xtol, D-76,
or your favorite stuff. The film is basically a Kodak Panatomic-X
equivalent, which is why folks like it so much.

I forget the film speeds, 32 or 50 for a neg, 200 for a print (my feeble
recollection.)

:-)

Jim