[pure-silver] Re: ps re old christmas cards

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:46:56 +0100

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:39:15 -0500
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: ps re old christmas cards
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>You can always get a mask made at any printer still running film for
>their plate exposures. You want an Emulsion Up Right Reading
>Negative, with a density near 4 (ink jet can't get even come close),
>which can be generated from Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark
>Express, etc. We get these films for our commercial printing
>operation almost daily. A letter size sheet can cost between $13 and
>$18, depending on what part of the country you're in, and how
>available the service is.
>
>Shanon if you can generate a file in a vector based program like
>illustrator, I can help you get a film mask.
>
>Elias

Inkjets can be used for that as B/W paper contrast is on the high side to
compensate the low contrast of the average negative.
A density of 4 is not really needed to obtain pure white ...

If the black ink density is not sufficient, then you may dope it with yellow
and magenta which will form a red layer, more or less inactinic, and increase
the density seen by the paper.

This is a technique used by various alternative processes printers as their
material, contrary to silver-based paper, do require high contrast negs from
inkjets.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch