[pure-silver] Re: prints stuck together in drymount press

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:37:36 -0500

Shannon, While I have at some point in my darkroom days had a print that I
tried to heat dry too soon, I don't have experience with three at once. I
avoid flattening more that one print at a time unless the edges will be
trimmed off. Even the slightest slip of registration of the stack can cause
an indentation that may never come out.

Release tissue is important and careful use of heat and pressure is a must.
For simple flattening, less heat and less pressure work fine. I find that
just closing the lid/top without pushing it all the way down works great for
first pressing. You can also burp your press so that the heavy moist air is
released.

While they may have dried for three days, did you do more printing while
they were on the rack? Or were they in a loose stack? Humidity will get back
into the paper base so when mounting or when flattening prints, a light even
heat prior to the final step has helped me avoid lost prints from the
finishing process.

Happy printing!

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography