[pure-silver] Re: printing Kodak's C-41 "black and white" film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:29:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "shannon stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 6:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] printing Kodak's C-41 "black and
white" film

>I experimented in August with shooting Kodak's "black and
>white" film
> that can be processed at a one hour lab.  Some of my
> friends love
> this film.  But, when I went to make the contact sheets,
> they seemed
> to require a lot more exposure time and the results looked
> rather
> flat.  Has anybody printed with this film, and if so, what
> are your
> feelings about it?
>
> --shannon

    Kodak has a couple of films, which one are you using?
All of their chromogenic B&W films have an orange filter to
simulate the color masking built into color films. The
reason is to allow printing neutral images on color printing
paper. The main difference between consumer and pro film is
the amount of this mask. In consumer film the mask is
stronger to yield neutral images without changing the
settings used for color on one-hour machines.
    The masking in both films tends to upset the color
balance of the variable contrast filters and to lengthen the
exposure time when used with conventional B&W variable
contrast paper. The use of a panchromatic paper, like Kodak
Panalure, will shorten the exposures but this is a graded
paper and is expensive. About all you can do is to
experiment with the VC filters on your parcitular enlarger
to find which gives desirable contrast and increase the
exposure time to whatever is required.
   Ilford's chromogenic B&W film does not have a mask and is
intended to print on B&W paper. It produces a color cast on
color paper unless substantial equalizing filtering is used
but it is not intended primarily for that. On the
conventional materials it is designed for it is superior, at
least in that it doesn't require handling differently than
silver based B&W film.

---