[pure-silver] Re: prepackaging my developer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:58:53 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean-David Beyer" <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:29 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: prepackaging my developer

Dennis Purdy wrote:
I have an ongoing project which I am using a specific film developer for. It is Ansco 47 which must be mixed from scratch and uses all the usual suspects for chemicals. I am getting tired of mixing it up everytime I want to use it so I am thinking of prepackaging it in zip lock bags. I am wondering if there is some reason I should keep any of the chemicals separate within the mix, like the metol or

You generally should dissolve the ingredients in the order listed in the formula. In particular, though, I seem to recall that the Metol does not dissolve well in sulfite solutions, so that is usually dissolved first.

Hydroquinone or sodium carbonate. I know that D76 comes in a single bag and it uses most the same stuff.

I do not know how Kodak manage this. Maybe the sulfite is packaged like some time-release medications.

My mix calls for Metol, Hydroquinone, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Bisulfate and potassium Bromide. If I just weigh it out and put it in batches in zip lock bags will there be any internal oxidizing or other bad reactions over time?

What I do for paper developer is mix something like D-72 stock solution in 4 litre bottles. I then mix one part of that with 2 parts of water to get working solution. I put the date I mixed it on the bottle and use it unless it gets too old. If you do not use a gallon of the stuff every few months, maybe you exaggerate the difficulty of making a new batch every so often.

I would worry about ZipLock bags being too porous for developing agents, so they might oxidize too quickly, depending on how fast you used them. I would also wonder if you could mix the dry chemicals adequately before you packaged them. Perhaps you could.

--
.~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642. /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 12:20:01 up 2 days, 18:54, 3 users, load average: 4.27, 4.50, 4.58

Kodak does indeed have some magic in encapsulating the ingredients so that they can get away with packaging D-76 and Dektol as single packages. However, in the past both came as double packages with the metol separated. Metol does not dissolve well in sodium sulfite solution so it should be put up separately. AFAIK, the other ingredients can be combined.
    Ansco used to sell packaged 47 so its doable.
BTW, Ansco/Agfa 47 appears to be essentially identical to Kodak D-61a except for strength. The ingredients of the Kodak formula are double those of the Ansco formula.