[pure-silver] Re: polaroid films

  • From: Michael Briggs <MichaelBriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:23:41 -0500 (CDT)

On 22-Oct-2004 shannon stoney wrote:
> I want to make some photographs with my 4x5 camera and polaroid
> positive/negative film.  But I have heard that type 55 film can
> either make a good print, or a good negative, but not both. I wonder
> if that is true?  Recently I looked at Vaughn Sills's work called One
> Family, where she used type 665 film.  This is a smaller negative,
> and it requires a special back for the view camera.  Is there really
> any difference between type 665 and type 55?  Is 665 better, so that
> buying the back would be worth it?

The 665 is a Polaroid Pack film that could be used in the Model 405 holder on a
4x5 camera; the 55 is a Sheet film that is used in the 545 series holders.
The 665 has an image area of 7.3 x 9.5 cm, while the 55 has 9 x 11.4 cm.
The film properties on the data sheet are very similar.  The characteristic
curves look a little bit different, but more so for the prints than the
negatives.

Pack films are loaded in a group and the film can't be changed from the holder
until the pack is used up.  At least that is the way the Polaroid pack film
holder worked that I used many years ago on an oscilloscope camera.   The sheet
films that use the 545 type holder are loaded individually and can be changed
from type to another type whenever the photographer wishes.

Probably the best reason to use the Type 665 is that the photographer has a
medium format camera which takes a back that accepts this size film.  Given
that you have a 4x5 camera, I suggest the Type 55 and a 545 series holder (545
/ 545i / 545 Pro ).  The images are bigger and you can switch between types of
film whenever you want.

Polaroid has alot of good information on their website but the URLs are
extremely long.

To get to the info on films, click on "products" at www.polaroid.com, then on
the left click on the type of film (pack, sheet) that you are interested on.
Click on the particular film, then on the left for the datasheet.  There are
also FAQs and other info, if one can find it.

These URLs will line-wrap:

Pack films:
http://www.polaroid.com/products/product_list.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743
02023690&bmUID=1098504095811&bmLocale=en_US&PRDREG=null&sc=Packfilm

Sheet films:
http://www.polaroid.com/products/product_list.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743
02023690&bmUID=1098504095811&bmLocale=en_US&PRDREG=null&sc=Sheetfilm

Clicking on "creative" at the top brings up other info.

--Michael