[pure-silver] Re: my dog ate my film.... A toxicology consult

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:38:55 +1100

One of my two labradors (Nessa) eats any food she can access.  Her
addiction is not limited to edible things but also kids socks and empty
toilet rolls.
The human food you must worry about, roughly in decreasing order of
toxicity to dogs includes:

1. (dark) chocolate
2. sultanas
3. macadamia nuts
4. onions.

Nessa suffered and then thankfully recovered from acute renal failure from
ingesting only about 30g of sultanas.

The best first aid for a dog having eaten a toxic qty of these things is to
get it out the same way it went in ASAP.  So after too many vet visits I
now keep a packet of Lectric Soda
Crystals<http://www.lectric.com.au/lectric_soda_crystals_p.html>
(Sodium
Carbonate Decahydrate) handy as a very effective emetic.  The vet now uses
that in preference to apomorphine in the eye as the nausea abates v.
quickly.