[pure-silver] Re: making a pinhole

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 18:33:01 -0500

mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Came up with an idea. Toyed with the idea of trying some pinhole
> photography but something always seems to get in the way. Came up with
> an idea to turn a regular film/digital camera into a pinhole using a
> body cap. Should work on any 35mm digital ect that would accept that
> kind of cap, and an extra cap in the bag weighs next to nothing and no
> bulk or extra stuff to lug around.
>
> Now I suspect the smaller the hole the better as far as sharpness, but
> is there a group of sizes that I should try? How much of a difference
> in hole size should I allow. Granted a body cap isn't going to alter
> the GDP, but its not like getting another piece of cardboard either. Id
> be interested to hear thoughts and ideas of those with pinhole
> experience.
>

> Mark

I was lazy, so I made a new lensboard for my view camera with a piece of
thick cardboard. I cut a hole in that with an Xacto knife and taped a
piece of aluminum foil over the hole. I punched a hole in the aluminum
with a sewing needle. I racked the camera to about 8 or 9 inches, stuck
a Polaroid holder in it with a sheet of #57 in it and pulled out the
paper. After 30 seconds or a minute or so, I put the paper back in and
processed it. Came out pretty well. Not as sharp as with a 210 mm lens,
though. Since I am not especially interested in pinhole photography, I
did not do any more. And now I do not know where to get Polaroid film in
4x5 size anyway.

 ^^-^^ 18:25:01 up 19 days, 3:00, 3 users, load average: 4.83, 4.86, 4.78