[pure-silver] Re: fixer composition (was Re: Re: PMK)

  • From: David Foy <dfoy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:51:56 -0600

Typical C-41 and b/w minilabs are designed to move the film straight from the developer into the fixer (or bleach-fix). There is no intermediate rinse and no stop bath (I believe E-6 minilabs have a water rinse after first development). Clearly for C-41 and b/w the folks at Kodak, Noritsu, and Fuji see problem from a chemical point of view, or for any reason having to do with processing consistency.

In a home darkroom the only potential issue I am aware of is that without a rinse step, over time, developer gets carried over into your fixer. A 24-exposure roll of 35mm absorbs roughly 1/3 of a gram of developer. If you want a long working life from a gallon of fixer this might concern you.

David Foy

Paul Mead wrote:

For small tank development, stop bath is unnecessary. I use water
rinse and it is totally adequate. However, if you prefer, you can use
a dilute acetic acid stop bath, or a buffered acid stop bath.

I've started to use a water rinse stop recently because I was getting unexplained pinholes in the emulsion (which have now gone away since I changed) but since I can't control the temp of my running water, I use a fill/agitate/dump routine using pre-heated filtered water - is this going to be enough?

Paul