[pure-silver] Re: ds-10

  • From: Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:32:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Ron Klein wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with Mr.Suzukis' DS-10 or DS-12 particularly wi=
th
> regard to stability of stock solutions? Any other feedback on these
> developers would be appreciated.

I use DS-10 and DS-12 regularly and have sensitometric tests with several
films on my website <http://www.jangowski.de/sensitometry/>.

DS-12 is quite stable, I use a concentrated stock solution (10x the
amounts of chemicals in 1l of water). This keeps well, I use 25ml of this
solution and 225ml water (=3D 1+9) for one 120/135-36 equivalent. A test
with fresh solution and some DS-12 left in a partially filled bottle for
three month (+Protectan) showed some loss of activity with the old
solution, the test film (APX100) with the old solution got a C.I. of 0.54
compared to the strip in fresh solution with 0.63. The shadow densities
were identical, the older solution lost some density in the lights (but
not much, the negs would have been completely usable).

DS-10 is an real excellent developer for Acros, T-Max, TX400 and Delta.
Unfortunately, not every film is useful in this developer, APX100 doesn't
work at all, at least with my chemicals. I can't test the pH of my
solutions, it is possible that my DS-10 is very low in pH and APX doesn't
like this. DS-10 is my standard developer for Delta 100 and 400, 9:30 with
24 deg. and rotation. However, after several weeks DS-10 goes down and
looses film speed and contrast. I keep my stock for no longer than 4 weeks
and mix fresh solution for each larger batch of film. I have several air
tight glass containers (in Germany called "Weithalsflaschen", wide neck
bottles) and put all dry chemicals for one batch into each of them. The
powder goes into solution quite easily, I put 900ml distilled water at 30
deg. on my magnetic stirrer, add the content of one glass to it and come
back after 5-10min. After adding the TEA the developer is ready to use.
This stuff is the best fine grain developer I know and I really have no
problems with sharpness at all, perfect for portraiture with 6x6 and Delta
400.

Gr=FC=DFe aus Hohenlohe,

=09Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/940790                         Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |