[pure-silver] Re: cleaning soot-damaged prints

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <Laurence.Cuffe@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:56:27 +0100

Richard Wrote:
>   If the prints are not water damaged they can probably be
> cleaned with a mild solution of dishwashing detergent in
> luke warm water. I think the original poster said they have
> been washed. I suspect that the washing may have softened
> the emulsion enough to allow some of the soot to get
> imbedded in the surface. I don't know how to fix that.
My two bits:
I took a color print and blakened it carefully in a candle flame. I then
atempted to clean it with detergent and water. Most but not all of the
soot came off. I then attempted to clean it with surgical spirit. The
rest of the soot came off.
Form this I'd advise using an alchohol based cleaning solution and would
be confident that it will work. Although I used surgical spirit I would
not advise this as it may contain oil of wintergreen and I'm not shure
of the archival effects of this.
All the best
Larry Cuffe