[pure-silver] Re: cleaning soot-damaged prints

  • From: Sissy Albertine <salbert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:20:48 -0500

John,
I've used a solution called Re-Stor from Photographic Solutions, Inc. [7
Granston Way, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532 (508)759-2322] on old, faded b/w
prints and was impressed. It's basically an intensification process. There
is a warning that the print may return to its original state within hours
but that wasn't my experience. Hope this helps.
Sissy Albertine

John Meyers <jmeyers102@xxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on 06/22/2005 08:27:35 PM

Please respond to pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:     (bcc: Sissy Albertine/salbert/LSU)

Subject:    [pure-silver] cleaning soot-damaged prints

Hi,

My father gave me 3 prints that were damaged by soot
in an apartment fire a few years ago, to see if I
could clean them. Two B&W prints and one color. The
B&W are on RC paper.

I soaked one of the B&W prints in a tray of water for
a few minutes and was able to remove a large part of
the discoloration w/ gentle wiping. But the print
still retains a grayishness, and some darker spots
from the damage.

I plan to scan them and restore w/ Photoshop, but I'd
like to get them as clean as possible first to
minimize the amount of computer work I need to do.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might
better clean the prints?

Thank you.

John Meyers