[pure-silver] "archival pigment print"

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 14:36:49 -0600

I went to a photo show today in Houston, and about half the prints were "archival pigment prints." This was at a prestigious gallery in Houston, and the prints were up for auction. There were some gelatin silver prints too, and some chromogenic prints, and a few alt process prints.

it's nice that there's such a variety of different kinds of prints now. The "archival pigment prints" were mostly very sharp and good. But, why do only *they* get to call themselves "archival"? Aren't silver prints "archival" too? This term--archival pigment print--makes ink jet prints sound somehow better than "regular" prints. I wonder if they really are. Can an inkjet print (which is a more honest description) really last a hundred and fifty years like a silver print?

I think I am going to start calling my prints "archival silver prints."

--shannon

http://shannonstoney-twors.blogspot.com/
http://branguslane.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannonstoney/