[pure-silver] Re: "archival pigment print"

  • From: Carlileb@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 18:06:04 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2010 12:54:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The  first time I saw this in a gallery I thought it was
quite pretentious but  have changed my mind. One has to have
some way of identifying conventional  silver prints to
distinguish them from similar looking prints. Galleries  and
museums identify carbon, platimum, salt, albumin, etc,
prints so a  specific name for conventional prints seems
necessary. Silver-gelatin is  OK because there are other
prints which employ gelatin as the carrier for  the image
which do not have silver images, carbon is an  example.

Yeah, but they didn't used to do that.

It's all about marketing now-- like they are trying to foist a phony
connoisseur-manship on people. Why not just call them prints.

The ultimate, though, is the "pigmented archival print" for inkjet. It must
 mean they can charge double for them.