[pure-silver] Re: all this talk about free equipment :)

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:39:22 -0800

Ctein's book "Post Exposure" contains a 20 page narrative about enlarger
lenses and grain focusing.
The list of enlarger lens he tested is large and his testing revealed there
is more to lenses than resolution.
Barry Thornton in his book "edge of Darkness" devotes even more pages to the
discussion of enlargers, lens, and focusing aids. His lens tests included
photos, unfortunately the photo are a bit small to reveal all that would be
seen from an original. I personally found these books very informative, and
Barry Thornton's writing style is excellent.
Nikon has made many generations of El Nikkor lenses. I have a few of the N
series lenses, and they are excellent. I also use Schneider Apo-Hm, and
Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon lenses, and the non APO variants. I've made
comparison prints with these lenses I'm not sure the average viewer would
notice the differences.
It appears there are a lot of other factors that can degrade the quality of
the print. These factors are usually correctable. Some of the critical
points are enlarger alignment, proper focus, ideal F stop, a negative
carrier the holds the negative flat, an easel that holds the paper flat,
working within the ideal enlargement ratio of the lens, etc, etc.
The internal cleanliness of the lens is most critical. Any haze on the glass
surfaces will degrade the image more that any design fault.
I have seen dark room technicians who to so speak "brake all the rules" and
still turn out excellent work.

Jonathan Ayers  {mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}