[pure-silver] Re: air pump for Devere 108S

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:07:09 +0100

Shannon Stoney a écrit :
I have a Devere 108S (which I've talked about a lot on this list). It is an old, huge, cranky machine, with a very noisy motor attached to it that pulls air through the head.

Hi Shannon !
I hope I'm not too late on this one ...
You have been said that the noise is/may be due to ball bearings. It is a possible cause of the noise, best to be checked. But, in another post you state that the negative move quite like a flag on the wind if the door isolating it from the condenser/lighting stage is not well closed. This lead me to think that your blower is a little bit on the overkill side and that the air that goes in has no way to go out... So "it bounces back" and impose a stress on the motor making it vibrate more than planned and make noise. My little knowledge on cooling thing is that you can make it without noise (well quite), provided that the air coming in goes out as freely as possible. If you get fans with blades designed to be quiet, you will like it and spend more time in the darkroom.
Here is my suggestion :
1) measure the opening of the vent on the head where the previous fan goes in. 2) look at the opposite side of the head and ask yourself if there is an opening of an equal surface to let the air out. If yes, my first hypothesis is wrong. If not you've to make one. When done I suggest that you buy one fan (like the one planned for computer venting) made by a reputable maker in it's silent grade (or medical range). PABST comes to mind, but there are others in the USA. Then when building your darkroom, make a support for this fan ( a small box will do into which you will accommodate the small 5 and 12 V computer power supply), a loose foam filter in the intake a and a metallic grid to prevent fingers to be caught by the blades) then a small length of flexible tubing will direct the air to the head to prevent fan vibration to get to the head and you'll be done.

IMHO, enlargers makers are not good at cooling their stuff : my Durst Laborator 1000 has a tiny lighthouse and can accommodate a 300 W bulb. As it is painted black inside, to can become very hot if you use the 300 W bulb. To vent this, they have made a very clever device to make music : the top of the box has two slots 1/2 inch with and 3 inches long. But to prevent light to escape and ruin contrast on prints, on the inside they are closed with a thin sheet of steel. The fan does suck air from the lamp house. Air comes from the two upper openings, causing the metal sheet to act like a flute... Tuning the air flow, you can adjust tone to a B or D tone... Go figure ! Of course, if you revert the air flow, the pressure force the metal sheet to close and the whole head vibrate as the incoming air column vibrate due to it bouncing back and forth... So it either noisy or useless. This may explain why Durst did not sell the fan in large quantity and people sticked to the 150 W light bulb which is the upper limit before venting.
Just my 2¢ ;-)
Oh, BTW, I would be delighted to see plans of your darkroom !
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,