[pure-silver] Re: Worlds Fastest Camera Defies Gravity...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:21:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Hough " <k4sb@xxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 10:23 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Worlds Fastest Camera Defies
Gravity...

> Alas I only have a Nikon with a 50mm1.1 on it so my light
> gathering
> ability is limited. But as I said I've replicated most of
> Harold Edgertons
> early experiments using one of my Deardorffs and TriX.
> Although the bullet
> shot was done with a Potato gun.
> Ken.

   Modern photographic strobe lights have rather long dwell
time compared to the early ones. Kodatron lamps which came
out in the early 1940's as a result of Edgerton's work, had
an effective time of about 1/10,000 second. This is
excellent for motion stopping but caused problems with
reciprocity failure. Modern units use some energy storage to
increase the dwell to around 1/400th sec. This still has
good motion stopping power but does not cause problems due
to reciprocity failure. My Vivitar flash changes dwell with
the power setting. At maximum power it is around 1/400th, at
minimum its much shorter although I don't remember off hand
what I measured.
  Edgerton used units with flash times of 1/100,000 second
and less.
  I have no idea of the velocity of a flying potato.

---