[pure-silver] Re: Worlds Fastest Camera Defies Gravity...

I like uncle Dick's description of a potato gun, but a friend of mine
who knows quite a bit about them has a few suggestions, although I
certainly don't recommend trying them. First 3" is too big for a barrel,
unless you're shooting very big potatoes.  2" or 1.5 inch is plenty big.
(Make sure to file and edge on the front of the gun. This makes cutting
into the potato easier. You can also wax the inside of the barrel for
added distance.) Second, hairspray, such as AquaNet, has most of the
universe's known flammable substances in it. Read the label for fun.
Nonetheless, it's not an ideal propellant, especially as you have to be
careful to not get your igniter wet when spraying.  Propane, such as
from a small torch used for sweating copper joints, works more
consistently. Oxygen and acetylene gas, such as from a welder, work
really, really well. My friend claims to have shot a potato over 1/2
mile with such a mixture. For some odd reason I believe him. Be very
careful, though. Always start with a very small amount and work up to
what you feel safe with, at least that's what my friend says. At one
time my friend figured out the muzzle velocity of his spud gun, but he's
forgotten the figure. Anyone who follows my friend's advice does so at
his or her own risk.

Peter