[pure-silver] Re: Water to temp

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:09:12 -0400

I have found that aquarium heaters are rather slow.  The thermostats in
aquarium heaters also are not very accurate and have a large hysteresis.
I use a fairly large amount (1 to 2 gallons) as a water bath.  In
Florida I usually wind up cooling the bath rather than heating it.
Either way I add water from the hot tap or ice to bring the bath to
temperature measured with a thermometer.  Once at temperature it stays
there with small adjustments for the period needed for development.
Rinse and fix are not as critical.  I use SS containers for the three
solutions and a few seconds in hot or cold water with stirring brings
them to temp.  At one time I used a circulating pump from an evaporative
cooler with a variac to keep the water moving.

Jerry