[pure-silver] Re: Warmtone prints revisited

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:20:08 -0400

At 10:32 AM 10/13/2004 , you wrote:

>I use it with all sorts of situations. It's a very versatile tool once
>you know the range of effects you can get with various papers. It
>gives orange brown with Fortezo, dark brown with neutral-warm papers,
>chocolate brown with cool-neutral papers. Even if you "tone" it
>briefly enough that there's not much hue shift, the image can have
>quite significant increase in stability, but it's best if you do your
>own test to confirm this if permanence is important.
>--
>Ryuji Suzuki
>"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."

oct1304 from Lloyd Erlick,

An interesting range of four different final results can be achieved by
using brown toner and selenium toner. First one and then the other and vice
versa. All that's necessary is a plain water rinse between toners.

I've found that on Ilford Warmtone FB (MGW) the result that pleases me the
most is from selenium alone. (I work with people and this toner seems to be
best for skin tone.) I use it diluted 1+5 (fairly concentrated) and at a
relatively high temperature (32-34C), for ten minutes.

I never found that brown toner changed tone very much if the print stayed
in for some time. It seemed to get to its final tone pretty quickly. Toning
with brown toner before/after selenium, and varying the selenium
parameters, can lead to a wide palette of possible results.

regards,
--le