[pure-silver] Re: Threading Enlarger Lenses

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:46:44 -0800

On Feb 7, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Snoopy wrote:

I've had Durst, Omega, Beseler, Federal, Leica, and ZBE enlargers. Only the Durst and Leica were threaded. All of the others were simply clean holes and the lens was held in with a jam nut.
WOW. What on earth do you do with these things, that you go through so many of them ? :-) :-)

I'm 70. Got my first enlarger (Federal) when I was 10. Got a better enlarger (small Omega) when I was 15. Went to Brooks Institute at 20 and got a D2 and a Leitz Focomat 1c (4x5 & 35mm), after leaving Brooks and starting work as a commercial photographer (back in Sunnyvale CA - where I still am) I sold the condenser D2 & condenser 1c and got a Durst L1000 with a Pavelle color head. I eventually got a Leica V35 & color head for my 35mm work. After retiring from heavy commercial work (1998), I decided to modernize for my own enjoyment. So I got a ZBE Sentinette and Starlite 55 computerized, 1100 watt, enlarger. That's what I have and use and love it! Last year I got, via eBay, a ZBE Sentinel w/Starlite 55 head. This is the big brother of the Sentinette with lens turret, autofocus, auto-sizing, etc. My darkroom is large enough for two enlargers, I shoot mostly 6x6, 6x12, and 4x5, I print a lot of Cibachrome and my JOBO ATL takes 16 minutes per print. Having two enlargers going with two different trannies will allow me to print a lot more than with only one enlarger. The Sentinette & Sentinel both take the same neg carriers and the keyboards are identical. I had to do some modifications on the Sentinel in order to get it set-up how I wanted. I'm in the process of installing it now. Before the Sentinel, I had a motorized Beseler 45V-XL as my second enlarger. I just recently sold it. Having two enlargers that use the same components is much better, hence the Sentinel. I bought it on eBay for what I got for the Beseler.

So there you have it, 60 years of enlargers. I didn't mention the enlargers that I had to use in other people's labs... :-)

Jim