[pure-silver] Re: Sodium Hydroxide = Red Devil Lye

  • From: Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:34:11 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Bogdan Karasek wrote:

Now the question? Anchell in the "Darkroom Cookbook" suggests that a substitute for Sodium Hydroxide is RED DEVIL Lye. This is an American label (I'm Canadian) and several people I have spoken to have never heard of it. My wife told me that her mother used to use LIONS Lye to flush out the drains but I don't know if it is a substitute for RED DEVIL; I don't know if it can even be bought anymore.

Would anybody, perchance, on the off chance, trivial pursuit question, ...... have an idea of a Canadian substitute for RED DEVIL Lye to replace the Sodium Hydroxide?????

NaOH is used to strip old paint. I saw it in DIY-stores here in Germany in 1kg containers. NaOH is used very widely, it should be no big thing to get it.

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

        Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski                         E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
|                        Netzwerke und Multimedia                     |
| Voice: +49 7946/3723                           Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4            74626 Bretzfeld Germany |