[pure-silver] Re: Pure Silver Wiki

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:13:48 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Pure Silver Wiki
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:23:40 -0400

>    My understanding is Ryuji has security concerns regarding who
> posts what to the his Wiki. As a result, it's closed to
> modifications except those with accounts. AFAIK, only Ryuji has an
> account. I think Ryuji intended for his Wiki to be a place where he
> could publish his findings.  I'll let Ryuji speak to this..

If you run your site, you'll realize the difficulties.  In real life,
I've served chairs of various committees at laboratories and officers
of some organizations. Managing informational resources is one of the
biggest unthanked job. People assume resource is there but they don't
want to make effort to maintain it. My honest opinion is that, if you
think you need external contribution to make it work, think twice
before doing it. It would be certainly more rewarding to work on an
easier project of greater entertainment value.

Based on my experience, it's a mistake to estimate level of potential
contribution from list members by number of their posts, etc. I had
experimental community-based weblog site under pure-silver.org domain,
and there were a few contributors and several posts over the course of
several months. The active contributors were not the top posters of
the list (which was a good finding!). It was a very worthwhile
experience to do that website but it was discouraging to deal with
comment spams, cracking attacks, etc.

The reason why my wiki is editable only by account holders is to
prevent spam entries, vandalism, and comment spams. You should talk to
other web admins who run wiki based systems. I don't need to offer my
space to increase the google hit score of p0rn sites and scum
businesses, for example, and I certainly don't need to spend my
personal time to weed out spams and reverse vandalism.

Since I changed my web to wiki system, I got several requests to
create accounts for them. I've always apprecied their offer to
contribute, but at the same time I request them to send me a rough
summary of what they are going to post. Yes, I know that the concept
of wiki is to make it easy for others to take action, but I am
maintaining some threshold. It is a conservative approach.

My wiki site is not a space limited to publish my own findings. It
includes tutorial matters to highly technical issues. It's just that
the coverage is very spotty. I also don't try to make duplicates of
same information that's available elsewhere, from well written books
or other high quality web sites. The reason why the site is still
working is because I don't *rely* on anyone else's contribution. If
anyone can really contribute something, I'll certainly appreciate it
as a bonus, but I won't depend on it.

If you have a great plan to make a community web site, I won't
discourage you, but the first thing I can offer you as my help is to
share my experience and opinion as above. If you have good answers to
them, I'll be very supportive, but at the same time, the reality is
that I don't know if I can contribute much.