[pure-silver] Re: Pressure Adjustment on Seal 160M

  • From: "mail1" <mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 02:09:39 -0800

I read the file on adjustment of the press, and it is not clear as to
how much tension should be set on the press with the adjusters.
The height adjustment is determined by the stack you are putting in the
press. The press handle should close easily. If your stack is thick as
yours is you must adjust the tension accordingly.
I start the adjustment procedure by loosening the lock nut counter clock
wise. On some presses this has required holding the center nut with
pliers while turning the lock nut with another set of pliers. If the
nuts are stiff I will lubricate the threads sparingly with light oil, or
light grease. If the platen in not centered correctly I will re center
it. Turn the center nuts clock wise to loosen. With the arm in the down
position with stack in place I will turn the center nuts counter clock
wise until the just start to make tension, then I will then tighten the
center nut equally finger tight. This levels the platen so the pressure
will be even in relation to both nuts. I then set the lock nuts. The
closing lever should close and release easily. This establishes a
starting point for further adjustment depending on the thickness of the
stack that is being pressed.
If further tightening is required I will release the lock nuts, then
lift the lever slightly so that I can increase or decrease tension
equally with out forcing the nuts. Remember to retighten the lock nuts,
hand tight should do.
The paper emulsion is very sensitive to pressure especially if is damp
and if you are getting an imprint your pressure is to tight. When I am
using the press for drying or flattening prints I close it with out
locking, and I also notice a very slight impression from the release
tissue if I am not careful.
When I hot mount I am very aware of the final pressure because the heat
can contribute to the impression of the gelatin surface.

Jonathan Ayers
Mail1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx