[pure-silver] Re: Pressure Adjustment on Seal 160M

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:34:13 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:25 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Pressure Adjustment on Seal 160M

I found this very straightforward-seeming instruction sheet here:

http://www.forframersonly.com/pdf/PRESSURE_ADJUST_FOR_MECH.pdf

and I am wondering whether anyone has done this, and has any additional advice to offer.

I think my pressure is a bit tight, I use 5 sheets of matboard to flatten 4 prints at a time. I close it without locking it, and even still I think the prints are picking up a very slight impression from the boards.

Thanks in advance for an insights!

-Adrienne Moumin

Use a sheet of release tissue over the emulsion side of the print. Pad release tissue and the back with a couple of sheets of heavy Kraft paper. That should eliminate any embossing of the emulsion side. There is another reason for using the release tissue: prints curl because of the differential shrinkage of the support and the emulsion. By drying out the support more than the emulsion the curling is eliminated or, at least, reduced. The release tissue over the emulsion keeps the moisture in. Its also very important to place the entire sandwich of print, release tissue, and Kraft paper under a flat weight to cool. If this is not done the flattening will not be complete. The best weight is a sheet of Aluminum but even plywood will work, it just takes longer to cool. I would also use less matt board because you may not be getting a high enough temperature. The drying and flattening process takes only a couple of minutes in the press. The cooling time under the weight depends on what its made of but is only a few minutes even for plywood. I've used the dry mounting press method for flattening prints for years and find that, once flattened this way, the prints tend to stay flat even during extreme variations of relative humidity (BTW, its 8% here right now but rain is predicted in a week).

---