[pure-silver] Re: Photography (because of Pure-Silver)

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:47:18 -0500

Hello Tim,

Regarding the black frames, as a rule, most of the time, it will do, but as you point out, sometimes the image will demand something less, certainly a lith print would not look good with a black frame. I have a reserve of light coloured frames (ash) that are more suited to certain images.

I think that the important thing is that once you have made a choice as to what is suitable for one's series of prints, to be consistent in the presentation, same colour matte, same colour frame, if metal, then all metal, if wood, then all should be wood. It's disheartening to see photographers arrive at the gallery with their mounted prints and some are in metal frames, others light coloured wood, others black wood, different coloured mattes. It makes the "hanger's" work that much more difficult because you now have to regroup the prints according to frame, matte colour. At the very least, be consistent.

I've never printed anything larger than 11x14. And lately, I find myself printing smaller sizes, 8x10, 5x7, 4x5.... It is a conscious decision to print smaller sizes, more intimate, draws the viewer in, especially my prints that resemble etchings.

As my mother was wont to say, it is not enough that the food be good, but it must be nicely presented, which makes the food even more appealing.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Tim Rudman wrote:
A very nice well reasoned post Bogdan. As you say, it is an often neglected
but hugely important area.

I agree with you too about 10x8 on 20x16 mounts. And 16x12 on 24x20 looks
good. What size do you matt 20x16s? Using the same ration & proportions can
look wrong sometimes I find.

My personal taste is for a very soft ivory white rather than pure white,
which I find too bright for my work, although good for cold tone pure B&W.

There is nothing quite like the black frame for B&W prints. Like the little
black dress it is a classic. Quite a lot of my work is delicate in tone and
colour (toned lith etc) and these I find are a bit overwhelmed by black
frames so in my last show I bought 70 large brushed metal semi matt neutral
grey/silver/pewter frames which worked OK. Quite understated. A lot of
people commented favourably on the frames (hopefully they looked at the
prints too). However, a gallery owner who came to see the show said that if
she were to take the show she would want different frames. Expensive to
replace.

Thank you for raising the importance of presentation for exhibiting.

Tim