[pure-silver] Re: Photography (because of Pure-Silver)

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:53:43 +0100

Yes, this is boiling down to that there is indeed a difference beween visualization and pre-visualization.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Jan 06, 2010, at 19:46, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Well I think of it this way. Whether you call it visualization or pre-visualization the point is you have a picture in your minds eye of what the final product is going to be and should have a plan on how to make it happen. But that's not the only time photographers use that skill. Ever do flash photography without a modeling light??? You have to mental picture the effect of the flash without something to see. Some would say you have to do the same thing with modeling lights, though the modeling lights are good hints and indicators even if it doesn't show up exactly that way on film or a sensor.

You also need that skill when you are looking for new locations. Rarely do I get to see the spot at the time of day I am actually going to get to work there, but with a look around, understanding the angles of the sunlight ect I can usually get a pretty good idea of what it will look like at a specific time of day through a mental picture. It is this type of skill that allowed Beethoven to compose outstanding music he would never hear. He could hear it in his mind. Many years ago when I was in college as a Music Ed major, one professor gave us the assignment to compose in 4 part harmony a short melody. The catch is that we could use no instrument including our voice to hear it prior to his playing each of them in class. You then got to hear how close you really were to what you thought you had down on paper. When you think about it, that really isn't that different for photography. We are just recording light not sound.
Indeed, Minor white used the term 'pre-visualization'. Ansel Adams called it 'visualization'. But the question remains, which is correct, or are they both correct. Maybe, there is a difference between the two.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Jan 06, 2010, at 17:51, Dennis Purdy wrote:

Haha Yes I agree with you that previsualization is a non word and my spell check doesn't even recognize it. I generally use only visualization as the term but of course previsualization has been the zone system word since Minor White coined it. Previsualization occurs just before I think of it.
Dennis
On Jan 6, 2010, at 08:47, Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:

Dennis

I'm familiar with the visualization process as in the Zone System, but what is pre-visualization?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==================================================================To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.