[pure-silver] Re: PYRO Processing Questions

  • From: "David Swinnard" <davidswinnard@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:30:03 -0800

I've been using Pyrocat HD in a Jobo Expert drum for my 4x5 for a couple of
years (slowest rotation).  I chose to mix and use the glycol version.  I
just replaced the last bit of my solution A (dev agents) with a new mix,
after two and a half years, as I thought it might be getting a bit "weak". A
comparison between the new and old "A" versions did reveal the old stuff
(which showed some feathery precipitates at the bottom of the bottle) was in
fact somewhat weak. Images were usable from it, but about a grade soft with
thinner shadow zones.

Before settling on the Pyrocat HD I tried Rollo-Pyro from B&S as I'd read it
dealt well with the excess oxidation in rotary processing.  It was OK, but
at that time I wasn't using enough of it to keep it from getting old. Now
that I'm mixing PC-HD (glycol) that isn't a problem as I can mix up new as
the need arises (and I'm not shipping liquids with their attendant shipping
costs north across the old 49th).

Testing settled the development time issues - my 4x5 film has always been
rotary processed (Unicolor drum/motor base, Jobo). My roll films are still
small tank processes, and again, a quick bit of testing shows me the times.
Initial start times were plucked from one web site or other.

Dave

  _____