[pure-silver] Re: PYRO Processing Questions

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:32:50 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles" <cgellis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:50 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: PYRO Processing Questions

Hi Richard ...

I used the Kodak D-7 metol-pyro formula for many years and got excellent negatives with nice sharpness and tonality but stopped using it when I read too much stuff about the toxicity. Most lately, I've used either Rodinal, Crawley's FX-37, or a metol-sulfite-carbonate concoction of my own invention. All these also produce nice negatives. The FX-37 was especially nice with Agfa APX 100 (rip). With the D-7 I'd set up a tray with the water and B and C solutions. Then I'd put in the negatives, shuffle them a couple of times and then dump in the A solution and start the timer. I got very consistent results. Films were Ansco Versapan, Tri-X and T-Max 400 mostly.

I'm talking sheet film here with no great enlargement so I can't say much about grain and such.

When I used the D-7, not knowing any better, I developed sheet film in a tray without gloves. When I did a lot of film, my hands would stain. Maybe this is what made me the way I am today ... am today ... am today ...

Charles Ellis

Metol is supposed to be a preservative for pyro allowing formulas like D-7 to have longer tray life. Pyro stains any collegen like gelatin or fingernails. Old time photographers often had _black_ fingernails but this is from Amidol, not pyro which stains brown. I guess you could have both which would also look black. I am very skeptacle of the idea that pyro causes Alzheimers, while some well known photographers died of Alzheimers there were plenty of others who never had any symptoms. I am unaware than any proper formal research has ever been done so IMO its still urban myth. Some developers, probably most of them are toxic in some way. Metol, for instance, and some others, is a skin sensitizer causing very sereous rashes in some people. Others can cause liver problems, etc., but it takes rather large doses to result in trouble. However, I think its a very wise practice to use nitrile gloves for all photogrphic solutions that your are likely to get your hands into.