[pure-silver] Re: New to Pyro

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:03:37 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "jeffrey" <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 2:21 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: New to Pyro

> Another question about pyro processing;
>
> It is recommended in the data sheet for WD2D+ that I use a
> non-hardening fix (like the Formulary's TF-4). I'm
> noticing that I
> have inadvertantly scratched several frames already,
> something I have
> rarely done in the past (using a hardening fix).
>
> Am I doomed to scratched negs, because I am using a
> non-hardening
> fix? Will the 'pyro affect' be negated if I use a
> hardening fix? ie
> will the stain be reduced?

   This is really a question for Ryuji. My understanding is
that the hardener in fixing baths affects the swelling of
the emulsion while it is wet and has little or no effect on
it when its dry.
   Has anyone run controlled tests to find out if the acid
in stop bath or acid fixing baths really affects the stain
from pyro?  I rather think this is anecdotal.

---