[pure-silver] Re: AW: Re: Any advice for purchase ofdensitometer.

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:39:29 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 9:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: AW: Re: Any advice for purchase ofdensitometer.

>What
> is your opinion? Is pyro worth the trouble, or are we better off sticking
> D76 and others for silver-gelatin VC printing?

I'm not Sandy, nor any photochemist, but I've used PMK for four years and
Pyrocat HD for about six months.

My opinion:  pyro developers are worth the trouble.

I don't know Pyrocat well enough to give judgment yet (it's not as "pyroish"
as PMK is, but it does give good results), but one thing I love about PMK is
its storage life.  Its stock solutions keep indefinitely.  I am still on my
first bottle of PMK (the kit I bought from Photographer's Formulary is good
for 50 litres of working solution, and I've only made about 24 :) ).  It
develops as well today as it did when I opened it in July 2000.  For the
infrequent darkroom worker, this is a wonderful attribute.

I like the tonality that PMK gives me, especially with Tri-X, HP-5 Plus and
FP-4 Plus.  I find it hard to find the correct development time and EI for a
given film, but once I find it, I love the results.  This is with VC paper.
I have bought some graded paper to try, but haven' t had time to use it yet.

I still find standard developers to be useful.  I prefer XTOL 1:1 with
t-grain films (I haven't found a t-grain film that I like to develop with
PMK - yet at least), and I tend to use D-76 1:1 with my first rolls of a new
film, and have rediscovered how much I like it, but I use more PMK than any
other film developer.

Jim