[pure-silver] New to Pyro

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:30:43 -0800

I've developed my first few rolls of 35mm fim in Pyro (WD2D+). I'm
using the Formulary's liquid kit, and their TF-4 Fixer, with
distilled water. I have a few questions;

I notice the stain tends to 'recede' a bit after the film dries. I
assume this is normal?

My first couple of rolls (one was Tri-X, one was Efke100) were very
thin and flat. I followed the suggested dev. times and temp. Shadows
were almost empty. I assume I will have to adjust my film speed
downward. Is speed-loss normal with pyro?

My last pyro roll (APX100) was exposed another 1/3 stop over my
normal film speed (ASA80). I souped the film for 20% longer than
suggested, and upped the temp to 74F (from 70F). The film still looks
somewhat flatter, and thinner, than 'normal' negs, though printable.
Are pyro negs just inherently a little flat and thin?

Not really a question - what a color change the dev goes thru, from
mixing to after-dev!  Starts out clear, but with an orange-ish cast.
Looks like coffee after the development is complete.