[pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was Re:POPwithpapernegs?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:31:02 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 1:08 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: NOW: Exposing paper was
Re:POPwithpapernegs?

> Richard
>
> I believe and know that there is plenty of science in
> printing. However, as
> Bauhaus recommends, art is a combination of craft and
> creativity.
>
> Unfortunately, too many people ask for the better camera,
> film, developer;
> you name it, just because the result of their efforts was
> less than what
> they expected. I suggested that there are other places to
> look for.
>

> Regards
>

> Ralph W. Lambrecht
   I think perhaps we are using science to mean different
things. I was not refering to improved technology through
scientific discovery but rather that some of the factors
that make a good print, at least from the standpoint of
tonal rendition, are known from scientific research and are
available to eliminate the necessity of guessing about
certain things. The application of this knowledge to an
intended work of art does not eliminate the artistry. The
understanding of the photographic process and materials by a
the photographer is no different than the understanding of
media by other artists.
   I must say that I have seen a great many bad prints that
appear to me to be the result of simple bad practice. For
some reason people want something other than the straight
forward procedures recommended by the manufacturers. If you
follow Kodak's little booklets you will get good negatives
and prints. They may not be artistic but they will be
technically correct and from there one can decide what to do
to achieve some artistic desire.
   I must admit however to having serious doubts about the
work of some photographers which are presented at art but
look like the goofs I make in the darkroom.  Maybe I should
start saving and mounting the stuff in the wastebasket.

---