[pure-silver] Re: NEW 5-PACK KREONITE INC. K2-1271-09 FILTERS

  • From: "Ken Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:35:21 -0500

In my RA-4 processor, the developer and Bleach-fix are constantly circulated.
The chems are pumped out of the tank, filtered, and pumped back in. The machine
keeps track of how many square inches of paper has been run through, and pumps
in a measured amount of replenishment chemicals. Under ideal circumstances, the
chemicals in the processor tanks are never changed, just replenished. As
replenisher is added, the tanks will overflow through the overflow standpipe in
each tank. A typical replenishment rate might be 30mL of each chem for every
two 8x10 prints. The tanks in my machine hold about two gallons each. Ideally,
the chemicals will "turn over" in two weeks. If you don't do sufficient
printing, there are additives to extend the life.

The filter for the developer will accumulate a grey/black "tar", and the filter
for the bleach-fix will accumulate a sulfur.

Also, the water supply for washing runs through a filter to minimize problems
with the automatic valve and gunk in the wash tanks. My processor has three
wash tanks in a "counterflow" setup: the fresh water comes into the last tank
and flows toward the first tank where it drains through the overflow.

The filters in question look like spools of coarse string, about 1.5" dia, and
4" high. There are various sizes available, also paper filters and charcoal
filters. A similar type of filter and housing is available at your local home
center for installation on your water supply line.

None of the filters (that I'm aware of) sell for $100 each or five for $499.99!

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxx