[pure-silver] Re: More Kodak Buildings Demolished

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:20:27 -0500

"Fernando Pastor Diaz" <alfikiper@xxxxxxxx>

It looks that analog photography will be another alternative process in not much time.

B&W's been an 'alternative process' for 20+ years.

I had the neighbors over for dinner 10 years ago,
and one looked at the photograph on the wall
and said: "That's, what is it now -- 'white and black' isn't it?"

I imagine that makes Pt/Pd, Cyanotype, et. al.,
alternative-alt-process.

I doubt figures exist for platinum printing but it would
be interesting to know how much is done now compared to how
much was done in 1880-1920 [or whatever the heyday of Pt was].

Hopefully B&W will go the way of oil painting and watercolour.

One could do a very good faux-Pt with an ink-jet, but nobody
seems to be beating that particular drum.  Possibly in the future
doing B&W with inkjet will be absurd - like making an RA4 print indistinguishable from an oil painting. Though there is an outfit
using an embossing process to make inkjets look like oils.

An interesting factoid is the number of B&W photographs I
see hanging on the walls in TV and movies. The number is amazing. There must be a Hollywood industry turning out framed B&W for props and set dressing.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC