[pure-silver] Re: Low Dmax - is it my paper or developer?

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:50:19 +0100

Peter Badcock wrote:
Hi Bogdan,

Neutol Plus was the only paper developer free from both Hydroquinone and Metol about 4 years ago when I bought up 8-10 bottles of it. Since then Tektol from Silvergrain has also become available, but shipping prices to Australia from the US are prohibitive.

I am using Ilford MG IV paper (FB and RC).

Four years ago I was being (overly?) cautious re. any potential health issues arising from using Metol and HQ, but now I have other reasons. I have 3 young children and just the other day one of them got their stool, leaned over the top of my sink and inquisitively plonked their hand into my dev tray !! Fortunately it was into the Neutol Plus ! So the less 'toxic' the chemicals I have out in the open the better. You might just say, "well Peter close the Darkroom door and don't let them in " ! My two eldest enjoy seeing what I do and ask many questions and like to ask permission to touch various things - the Darkroom is also my electronics workshop and I let them investigate my tools and an old analog CRO I have sitting on the floor.

rgds
Peter

2010/1/5 Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi,

Peter, What is the allure of of Neutol Plus?

There are some formulas for hydroquinone/metol-free paper developers like the following:
http://www.jackspcs.com/pde72.htm
They may be helpful if commercial products are not easily available.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch