[pure-silver] Re: Low Dmax - is it my paper or developer?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:36:32 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Badcock" <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 4:27 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Low Dmax - is it my paper or developer?

Thanks Martin, and also Nicolas for your comprehensive reply.

The latest update I have is that indeed the developer is dying. Testing last night revealed that a 1+9 dilution takes 5 minutes to reach Dmax (of 2.1) and 1+4 takes 3minutes for Dmax of 2.1. As Nicholas suggested, longer times
should further increase the Dmax.

I have Dektol and Ilford Cool tone developer arriving tomorrow. If they end up giving me Dmax of say 2.3 or 2.4 then I'll probably not persist with the Neutol Plus. However with a little planning and testing, I plan to
continue using my Neutol Plus.

The first thing I am going to do is to transfer all the concentrated
solutions into glass bottles.  This page
<http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/plastic.html>identifies the permeability of different plastics often used for photographic chemicals. It suggests transferring to glass containers for long term storage. Guess which plastic the Neutol Plus was sold in from AGFA ? HDPE which has the poorest gas permeability .... I cut open the plastic bottle last night and it didn't appear to have have an additional plastic lining in it.

Then each time I use the Neutol Plus, I will do a quick Dmax test to see how long I need to leave the paper in the dev for. Some might say I'm crazy, but I have my reasons. I have 3 young children and just the other day one of them got their stool, leaned over the otp of my sink and inquisitively plonked their hand into my dev tray !! So the less toxic chems I have in the open the better. To that end I'm looking at eventually using Tektol.

regards
Peter

Old paper can lose contrast and speed beside getting foggy. I've had this problem with several types. I have not measured Dmax but suspect the paper can lose enough speed or contrast to make it hard to reach. I don't think this is what happened here but its easy enough to prove by testing with another developer or even with a stronger dilution of the same developer. Note that Neutol Plus gives _two_ dilutions: 1:9 for "economy" and 1:4 for normal use. Peter states in his fist post that he is using 1:9. I suggest testing with 1:4 to see if the same results are gotten. I don't remember now which dilution I used but think I tried both and settled on 1:4. Neutol Plus evidently is a Phenidone and Ascorbic acid developer, AFAIK the only one ever made for paper. In that way it is similar to Xtol for film. I have not been able to confirm this from the MSDS, they mention the ascorbic acid but no other developing agent. That may be because Phenidone is present in quite small amounts and is not considered a hazard. If I am right about Neutol Plus it should be a good developer and also an environmentally friendly one in the same way as Xtol. I used Neutol Plus for some time and did not have short life problems with the concentrate, at least not sudden failures of the sort Xtol had at one time. I would at least try the stuff at the lower dilution and see what results you get. BTW, Rodinal makes a good, if expensive, paper developer. It should be diluted about 1:25.