[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Film

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:59:51 -0500

 Aaron,

 Kodak et al were too complacent. They didn't R&D innovation into the basic
chemistry of conventional photography to make it simpler. The entire emulsion
technology should have been revolutionized.

 As for Nikon, Canon et all, digital was an unexpected windfall.
 They already had the electronic format perfected for film cameras. All they
had to do was adapt the circuitry to serve the sensor. The front end of the
camera was an already amortized investment. Not only that, but digitals need no
motorized film advance. No need for code reading on cassettes. Once in
production, Nikon et al probably make more money per digital than they did on
the film bodies.

 By contrast, Kodak et al just coasted along on the expectation that film would
have no viable competitors. After all, TV and Polaroid failed to even threaten
conventional film. And it's a long way from the gross scanner to a
sophisticated camera sensor.

 Best,
 Bob